The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Small Business Applicant Assistance Program (AAP) will open for applications on September 18, 2023, at 12:00 p.m. EDT. This program cycle is intended for applicants who plan to submit their Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR)/Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) grant applications for the January 5, 2024, submission deadline.
The NIAID Small Business AAP will offer support for companies planning to apply for a NIAID Phase I, Phase II/IIB, Fast Track, or Direct-to-Phase II SBIR/ STTR Awards at no cost. SBIR/STTR contract applications are not eligible to participate in the NIAID AAP. NIAID encourages AAP participation from small businesses that are owned or operated by individuals who are traditionally underrepresented in biomedical sciences, such as women-owned small businesses, socially/economically disadvantaged small businesses, and companies located within Historically Under-utilized Business (HUB) Zones.
Participants in the NIAID AAP will work one-on-one with a Senior Consultant from Foresight Science & Technology, who will help you prepare your proposal with such services as Outlines and Checklist, Registration Guidance, Review and Feedback on Commercialization Plan, Research Strategy, Budget, and/or other Attachments.
To be eligible for the program, you must meet the following criteria:
- The research area of interest aligns with the mission of NIAID. You can read NIAID High-Priority Areas of Interest to determine if your application fits within NIAID’s mission.
- Your company intends to submit a Phase I, Phase II/IIB, Fast Track, or Direct-to-Phase II SBIR/STTR application. Completion of the 4 required registrations is strongly recommended for all applicants. If you have completed the registrations in the past, please make sure that all registrations are renewed and updated properly. SBIR/STTR contract applications are not eligible to participate in this program.
- Your Phase II application must be received within the first six receipt dates following the expiration of the Phase I budget period.
- Your company intends to submit an SBIR/STTR application for the January 5, 2024, grant submission deadline.
- Your company must be eligible to apply for NIH SBIR/STTR grants based on the NIH Small Business Eligibility Criteria.