scientific discoveries into healthcare solutions.
Matt leads the SEED Office in helping to transform cutting-edge technologies into products that improve health and save lives. He previously served as the first director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute’s Office of Translational Alliances and Coordination, and he created and led the National Eye Institute’s Office of Translational Research. His previous experience also includes service as the principal scientist for the bionic eye company Second Sight Medical Products and as a staff member on both the United States Senate and House of Representatives committees responsible for science, technology, and innovation policy.
Ashim Subedee has a diverse background in academia, small business programs, biomedical innovation, and NIH program development and management. He oversees and coordinates programs at NIH to foster academic innovation and entrepreneurship including the coordination of NIH’s academic proof-of-concept network that includes 100 universities & colleges across 37 states and Puerto Rico.
Over 15 years at NIH Stephanie Fertig has led the development and implementation of multiple programs focused on small businesses and translational research. She currently oversees the Health and Human Services (HHS) Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs, which includes the NIH SBIR & STTR programs.
Chris Sasiela has over a decade of experience providing support and consultation to academic innovators and small businesses engaged in therapeutic, device, and diagnostic development programs. She coordinates the activities of a team of seasoned professionals with experience in product and business strategy, business development, fundraising, partnerships, reimbursement, and regulatory affairs.
Academic Innovation Team
- Ashim Subedee – Academic Innovation Team Lead
- Steve Wolpe* – Entrepreneur in Residence
- Arthur Bray-Simons* – Academic Innovation Support Staff
- Cassidy Slater* – Academic Innovation Support Staff
HHS Small Business Team
Innovator Support Team
- Chris Sasiela – Innovator Support Team Lead & Senior Regulatory Specialist
- Ben Berman* – Medical Device Regulatory Specialist
- Ethel Rubin* – Entrepreneur in Residence
- Franziska Moeckel* – Regulatory & Reimbursement Specialist
- Janelle Rowell* – Project Manager
- Jen Madsen* – Regulatory & Reimbursement Specialist
- John Sullivan* – Entrepreneur in Residence
- Kuldeep Neote* – Entrepreneur in Residence
- Loleta Robinson* – Entrepreneur in Residence
- Salman Hasan* – Senior Business Analyst
- Shyam Rele* – CMC & Regulatory Specialist
- Todd Rubinstein* – Project Manager
SEED Operations & Communications:
- Kate Fritz* – Operations Manager
- Pablo Gersten – Senior Project Manager
- Monika Mahajani* – Communications Specialist
- Theresa Whelan* – Project Coordinator
- Vicki VanArsdale* – Communications Specialist
* Contract Staff